Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Supporting Cast

I have said many times in my posts that I consider myself to be very lucky. Lucky to have been spared serious consequences from my injury. Lucky to have the opportunity to continue to live, free and independent. During my time in the halo, I was also reminded of how lucky I am to be surrounded by people who care about what happens to me. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to be alone in such circumstances. As a result, I feel compelled to thank those who were there for me.

It seems that nothing gets people's attention like a broken neck. Everyone always assumes the worst when they hear such news. And with good reason. I had many visitors and callers when I was in the hospital and later at home during my recuperation. My family was by my side and gave me all the support I could possibly need. Friends called regularly to see how I was doing. Colleagues sent their well-wishes and flowers. It warmed my heart. My husband received regular calls, almost on a weekly basis, from family abroad, most of whom I have never even met. It is astounding to me that people can give of themselves this way.

I have to say though that the award for `best support to a temporarily disabled halo-wearer` goes to my husband; my rock, my own personal hero :) This is the man that looked after my every need day in and day out. A man who, after an exhausting day at work, would go out of his way to find me a certain book I wanted to read, or a certain dvd I wanted to see. A man who took over the entire household responsibilities, along with full-time work. Who made me homemade soup when I was having difficulty swallowing, and who brought me hot, sweet cardamon milk while I took my mini baths. A man who actively sought ways to make my days less miserable, and who gave me the words of encouragement I needed to hear when I didn`t think I could take much more. Who spent countless exhausting hours by my side at the hospital, and then later in the ER. Who washed me, dressed me and dried my hair.. It is because of him that I managed to get through the difficult early days, and that I was able to focus on the light at the end of the tunnel. I hope with all my heart that I never have to pay him back.

I want to make special mention of my sister Gi who visited me at the hospital after long days at work, eyes red from exhaustion, but filled to the brim with compassion and worry. Who since forever, has never failed to materialize by my side when I needed her. Merci Gi xxoo. And to her boyfriend as well who took time out of his very busy schedule to actually make legs for my sofa so that it could be raised to a more comfortable height. And who fabricated some really nifty and useful memory foam cushions by hand so that I might be more comfortable. Talk about compassion. And, best of all, who pulled strings and somehow got me a hospital bed just days before Christmas. Merci E.

And to my sweet sister N who although younger, never ceases to surprise me with her inner strength and her wisdom. Who sat by my side for hours on end, and who looked at me in wide-eyed horror (pre-halo installation), every time I moved an inch in my hospital bed : Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiise, don`t move!

And to my brother who was quickly by my side with his wife soon after the accident, concerned and worried, staying until he knew everything was stable.

And of course my father, who kissed my forehead and said thank God I wasn`t paralysed. Who brought me flowers and told me, "je t'attends pour danser." Merci papa.

And my mother. My mother, who so sadly is no longer with us, but who I know continues to watch over us, somehow, somewhere, making sure that we find our way without her; I could not possibly miss her more. Her radiant, smiling face remains clearly etched forever in my mind's eye. A vision of grace, beauty and remarkable strength. She has taught me a thing or two about courage. Que je t'aime.

Last, but certainly not least, my good friend C also deserves special mention for her unwavering, steady friendship and her incredible generosity of heart. Her support and genuine compassion has helped to pull me through some tough times on more than one occasion.

Just as the halo vest provides you with the support needed to allow your fracture to heal, a supporting cast of family and friends will help to heal your mind and your spirit, which in turn will give you the strength and courage you will need to face the tough times ahead.

5 comments:

  1. Wow do I understand and appreciate the support - calls, emails, food, visits, and mostly family. Some handled it better than others. My quite daughter not knowing what to say or do stepped up and became more grown up and helped out more around the house.

    My husband - as you said - the baths, the creative ways to wash my hair - figuring out how to get me dressed - helping me put on lotion and drying my hair each day. He helped at the slight sound that something was wrong and lost lots of sleep with worry and concern. He has been my strength and we are closer than ever. I can never thank him enough and I pray I don't have to do something like this for him either. I would - no doubt - but I pray he says safe and strong.

    He pushes me to walk and to eat yogurt and I can't tell you how much I hate the texture of yogurt. And getting me to walk a little bit more each day.

    I don't know how I could do this without him. You never know what you can do or will do until life hits you hard. It's been a wake up call for us and for it we are stronger and more loving and closer and I thank God he gave us that chance because as many people like to tell me it could have been much worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is important to recognize those who have shown support, I think. In particular, those who are closest to us and who have, in many ways, suffered along with us. Sadly, not everyone is as lucky as you or I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the hardest part for Jan was those that didn't visit or only called once. It was as if they knew she wasn't dead and therefore it couldn't be THAT bad. I truly think they were in denial; if they don't see her like this, they don't have to think it was very serious.

    Did you encounter any of that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can`t say that I did. I am actually blown away by the concern people showed. I certainly never doubted that my family and friends would be there for me, as I would for them, but I was amazed by the calls we received from people I hardly knew, ie: some of my husband`s family and friends. No doubt not everyone can truly relate to what you are going through though. A serious injury, such as a broken neck, is not something most people have to deal with on a daily basis. Or as you say, perhaps some people just can`t deal with the reality of the situation. People are different in their capacity to handle such things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, people we hardly knew visited, brought food and offered any assistance possible. People, passing acquaintances from Jan's work, my work and friends of friends really helped pull us through this.

    ReplyDelete