Saturday, March 14, 2009

One Size Does Not Fit All

Here's how it went : I was propped up on the bed with my back held straight against a board, and my head supported in a neck brace, while a nurse inserted an IV with something in it to relax me. I had already received a straight-through-the-muscle shot of Gravol to ensure I wouldn`t barf during the process, which wouldn’t have been a good thing I don`t think. Seconds later, I was feeling comfortably …s e d a t e d. The doctor then proceeded to stick four needles in my head to freeze the areas (Ow, ow, ow, and ow.) A few seconds passed… Ok, now I was ready. Let`s just do this and get it over with.

At that moment I noticed a change in the doctor`s demeanour. Something sneaky was going on. He whispered nervously to the other doctor and then there was some kind of commotion. He said to relax, that they’d be back in a minute. I dozed off…buzzz. A few minutes later he came back and told me that the screws they had for the halo were "too small"… That they wouldn`t fit and they didn`t have any other halos at the moment. They would have to come back tomorrow to put the halo on. “WHAT?” He then leaned in close to my face and looked deep into my eyes (I think), and said : “I`m…so…sorry.” At this point he was really just a blur in my vision, but he sounded like he meant it.. I tried, but I couldn`t get mad. I was too buzzed. The rest of that night I had to be put on oxygen because of all the meds they had given me for nothing. Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment