Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Don`t Be So Rigid

After being immobilized in a halo vest for nine weeks, the rigid collar that follows its removal seems almost insignificant. But I think it merits discussion nevertheless.

It is most definitely an improvement mobility-wise, and is miles more comfortable than the halo. Having said that, it is not freedom quite yet. The rigid collar, at least in my case, is used to continue to stabilize the neck while the fracture completes the healing process. My healing had progressed enough to allow removal of the halo, but not enough to go without some level of support and protection. The collar provides that support while at the same time allowing for some movement. With a small allowance for movement, the neck muscles begin to work, which results in the gradual strengthening of the neck.

After prolonged immobilization in a halo vest, the neck muscles will have atrophied to some extent due to lack of use. The longer you are immobilized, the weaker your neck muscles will be. As with all progress though, there is usually some threshold that must be pushed through. In order to regain your muscle strength, you will have to start to use it (albeit very slowly and in the confines of the collar); and when you do, you will experience some level of pain and discomfort. That pain and discomfort will eventually lead to increased strength as the muscles work to meet the demand.

I certainly noticed an increase in muscle pain in my neck and even in my back to some extent, since wearing the collar. I also find that the back of my neck hurts throughout the night and I must always be very careful as I move around from side to side. In fact, I find that sometimes I actually have to lift my own head before I can move...yikes. Out of habit from my halo days, I still roll to my side and push myself up to get out of bed. Most of the time, I have to hold my head as I push up. Same thing goes if I have been in a reclined position for any period of time. I assume what I am feeling is muscle strain and not fracture pain, in which case, the muscles will eventually strengthen.

Although my doctor told me to only remove the brace (while seated) to change the pads on it, I now occasionally remove it just to get a break from it, and to allow my neck to "breathe" for a few minutes. It does get hot under there. I don't move much while out of the brace, but I have tested my range enough to know there isn't much :( It will no doubt improve with time and/or physiotherapy.

I have to take my showers with the brace on and I have to say, that sucks. It's difficult to get at all of my hair since the back of the brace reaches up a little higher than the top of my ears. And the foam pads absorb alot of water, so by the time I finish my shower it weighs a ton. And then of course it just drips all over the place..

Apart from that, there isn't much to say about the brace. Eating is a bit tricky but a huge improvement over the halo. And it's handy to keep your neck warm if you're out in the cold...no scarf required. Now that's a plus if you live in my neck of the woods (ignore the pun :).

3 comments:

  1. We have a trick that makes washing your hair easier. I take a wide velcro strap and fasten across the back of Jan's head so she can wash her hair fully. It also keeps so much water from draining down her back when she is finished. I will take a picture and post it on our blog later today in case it helps you out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Knuckle Busted. I definitely want to see that picture :)

    ReplyDelete