Monday, March 23, 2009

Back In The Saddle

Driving your car after an accident is a bit like getting back in the saddle after falling off a horse. You have to do it if you care about getting on with your life and regaining your independence. But it`s not easy.

I drive a mid-size import. A sort of hybrid between a sedan and a small SUV. I don't want to give the name of the car, because I am not going to say very nice things about it. To be fair, the car has always served me well. It was very reliable, practical and comfortable to drive. I enjoyed driving the car and was happy with it. Not anymore. The honeymoon is over; the romance is gone. I have fallen out of love with my car. Yet there it sits in my garage, all fixed up like new, and shiny and clean, as if nothing has happened. It beckons me, but I ignore it. At first I was angry and would not, could not even look at it. Now I feel only cool indifference.

What kind of car allows you to get a serious injury without even trying to protect you? I mean, the air bags didn`t even deploy for God`s sake! Ok, it wasn`t a frontal impact, and I don't have side air bags, but still... I am not impressed.

I am starting to fantasize about another car. I want something that will take me places and take better care of me. Something bigger, taller and with more muscle. I want an SUV with four-wheel drive and side air bags...and leather seats :)

It won't be long before I have to get in my car, like it or not, and drive myself to work. My husband has (forcefully) taken me for a little drive in it, but I didn't enjoy it one bit. My car is giving me heart palpitations, and not in a good way. The only thing it has going for it right now is that it's paid off, but I'm not sure that will be enough.

All joking aside though, a vehicle accident that leaves you with major injuries will quickly make you realize that we humans are seriously vulnerable when it comes to driving a car. The human body was not made to withstand the potential impact caused by fast moving metal and glass. There can be no competition between the two. One will always win and the other will always lose.

Since never driving again is not an option for me, I will face this challenge as best I can. I will drive, but I will do it very carefully, and without distraction. And I will never again take my safety and that of others for granted. Another life lesson learned.

5 comments:

  1. Jan is afraid to ride with anyone but me. She says it is a little scary to ride at all.

    Funny story: Jan gets 13 MPG in her Honda Pilot driving in town before the accident. Since the accident, I have been ferrying her to and from doctors and around town for shopping. Since I've been driving it, it has averaged 16-17 MPG in town. I attribute that to my less aggressive driving style while shuttling around a halo patient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is also driving..more gently I guess you could say. For one thing the bumps on the road kill my neck so to avoid hearing me yelp every two seconds, he slows down.

    Unfortunately, I have become terrified of driving in a car. I don't know how I am going to drive myself. Little by little I guess. I was always comfortable with my husband's driving, but now it's, watch that guy, watch where you're going...look-out. I am driving my husband crazy. I am definitely going to need some time to get used to driving again, once I'm out of the collar. I have a 15k trek to get to work, which includes a highway..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad someone else understands the driving part. I tried breaking from my side of the car for my daughter and she fussed. I close my eyes sometimes when I ride with Greg but then I am afraid I will miss someone getting to close or something.
    I do miss the freedom of being able to get in my Honda and just go somewhere. Some days the walls are closing in on me. I really hate for the family to leave for work or school.
    I'm taking a class but I tire so I can only do so much on the computer.
    I get a morning nap too. Trying to sleep in the collar is a trip - it is not shaped like my neck.

    I don't have a long drive to work but there is a lot of traffic! One day at a time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the breaking thing all the time too. I can`t help it. Like you said, one day at a time. We`ll get there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Correction: I meant to write braking in that last post :)

    ReplyDelete